Tuesday, February 19, 2008

why? why? why?

ARGH!!! I think Kai is going through his "terrible twos" right now! He has got quite the attitude when it comes to not getting his way (but then again, who doesn't get upset about that?) and he is CONSTANTLY asking me "why?" to EVERYTHING!!!! I was going Bonkers on the car ride home after dropping Abi off at school this morning!!! "Why is that car going to the gas station?" "He probably needs gas." "Why?" "Because cars need gas to drive." "Why?" "That's how they're made." "Why?" "They won't run without gas." "Why?"

Wow-ee!!! We managed to made it through that stage pretty easy with Abi; she didn't ask that TOO much (unless my preggo brain forgets, which is very possible), and I thought we did wonderful with missing it since Kai's speech was so delayed! *sigh* It's so nice to hear him speak clearly and so often, but I tell ya, his constant chatter and questions are tiring after a while! Is it bad of me to admit sometimes (okay, most of the time! *blush*) I tune him out and just agree with him when he says, "right, Mom?" LOL

Meanwhile, on the Speech Front…Kai is only going to ST once a week now since he has gained so much in the past 4 months. It's been Amazing! I'm happy too b/c it's less driving and stress for me! Linda did a mini assessment on him again when we returned last week for ST and she has noticed that we need to work on syllables (he pronounces many words as one, just as Bana, instead of Banana) and on his vowels (which is funny since that is all he used before!) and the second consonant in words. She got him to say "L" properly last week, which he was doing well. It's encouraging to see how much he has grown. I had to fill out the usual yearly forms again though, sign the papers of disclosure and such, and tell them my "goal" for Kai. Uhm… that he speaks??? I never know what to put for that. It seems like such a no-brainer! What would you like to see for your child? Uhm, that we don't need to come here anymore b/c he's doing so well??? That he can speak at a level that everyone understands him??? That we can send him to school confident that he is on par with the other kids???

Bryn saw Michelle from IDP (infant development program) yesterday again for his 18 month ASQ. He did Awesome! I was so excited! He is ahead or on target for everything…..except his speech. :( We were discussing his speech back in Nov 07 and it was suggested that we get him referred for Speech Therapy. Just in case. So yesterday, Michelle asks me, "Do you feel that he is at par with other children his age for speech?" I thought then said yes, to which she looks over the Qustionaire and tells me that Bryn is at the "at risk" level. :( Guess I'll be filling out that referral and returning it to Linda afterall. It feels like the whole thing with Kai again…where we were so hoping he'd "out grow" his speech delayment, and wanting to postpone therapy. We're at the same thoughts with Bryn. We hope he'll do fine, but what if he doesn't? What if he also gets diagnosed? I'm not suggesting that would be horrible, I'm just debating on the whole "do we wait?" thought. I know that we can take him OFF the list if his speech takes off, but it's the whole admitting that you have to put him ON it in the first place!

No matter what, my boys are wonderful! I am so proud of them and love to see how they are growing, and the things they can do! They sure do keep me on my toes!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers