Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Summer day in September

Hello again. It's been a LOOOONG while since I've popped in! It's a new month and it's almost over!!!! I'd like to give a grand excuse, something about how busy I've been to even come online, but that would be a lie. I just couldn't. wouldn't. didn't. But here I am trying.

At the beginning of the month, my church hosted a community even that we went to. Well, as per usual, Hunny BBQ'd for it---he bought a HUGE BBQ with the intention that he'd donate it's use and himself to our church for events (the stipulation for the expensive purchase). It can hold something like 2 dozen steak on it at once! It's nothing amazing to me; it's just a long stainless steel unattractive BBQ. I'm more interested in the man behind it! The one who not only said he's use it to help out the church, but actually does! I love my giving Hunny!

The event was wonderful. We had 2 bouncy castles and a huge slide.







Bryn had trouble going up the incline, so Abi helped him!

There were demonstrations from a Tae Kwon Do school as well as the Langley Gymnastics school.


There was live music, by our very own JRCC Team. And face painting. Abi got a dolphin by Ellen. Really. You can't tell what it is in the picture, but it looked like a dolphin IRL! (Ellen is talented at face painting, just like me! Meaning that we aren't! But she was brave enough to volunteer for it anyways!)




And there were "door prizes". And guess what? One of our numbers was picked! (We were given 3 tickets upon arrival: one for me and the 2 older kids) I handed the winning ticket to Abi for her to claim our prize. (I was hoping she'd go running all excitedly. She didn't. But she was happy! She was convinced from then on that it was HER ticket that won!) The prize was two tickets to see the Langley Chiefs hockey game! When we went to their booth to claim Abi's prize, one of the players (FW Trevor Elias #21) immediately began to sign his autograph on a pre-printed poster, which made me giggle. We didn't know who he was, didn't ask for a thing, he just assumed. But that made it easier for us--less embarrassment for me. (Hockey players, pro or not, make me giggly and tongue-tied. It's the Canuck in me!) The game is this Friday, which we will be taking Abi on a "date" to! She is super excited! We'll see how long her interest lasts during the game.

The day turned out to be absolutely beautiful and hot. As you can by their clothes, neither child wanted to believe me it wasn't cold out! It felt like summer again! Oh, so technically it still IS summer for another week, but that's not the point. Besides, as soon as we welcomed in the new month, it felt as though September slammed the door on the season. We replaced our heat with the chills and rain. Put away our shorts and tank tops and pulled out sweaters and boots. Coming from one who loves Autumn, even I thought the transition was sudden. But here we were, enjoying a hot summer day again. Of course, I forgot sunscreen, so of course I got sunburned. (that only scared me a little bit as I stared at my red skin that night in the mirror and rubbed aloe vera into it) I wouldn't have forgotten it at all if I remember the diaper bag, since it's in the front pocket. Oops. That's okay, I appeared to be on a theme. I also forgot to bring money for the BBQ! So instead, the kids snacked on free popcorn. I did manage to scrounge up some quarters to add to Abi's so we could buy 3 drinks. (Of course, much later, at home, I found out there was an ATM inside the Event Centre. Good grief!)

The kids were hot & getting whiney, so I decided we should check out the water park. (somewhere we'd never been to yet this summer) I didn't remember to bring the swimsuits or towels I told myself to remember. Dang it! Oh well. I gave the kids permission to get wet. And Abi truely did that! She got soaked running through the sprays.



Kai stomped in the puddles and got his pant legs wet. Then he decided to try to spike Rhys' hair!


Bryn started cautiously, then joyously ran around.



And Rhys delighted in splashing in a puddle.




To help with drying off before heading back home, I let the kids play on the playground. I like this one, as it has a terf floor, instead of rocks or woodchips. I'm sure it's still going to hurt if you fall on it, but it sure feels soft to the feet!




I even put Rhys down the slide a few times, and got Abi to take a picture of us! He loved it!


I love my kids.





It was glorious. A beautiful non-traditional September day.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers