Friday, April 25, 2008

mysterious spots

Today was another beautiful day and the deck is some-what cleaned (we won't go further into that) and so the boys played outside today. I even enjoyed it too! (although it wasn't sunny or warm enough for me…) This evening, Bryn was on the deck, playing around in the last remains of what used to be my flower boxes, and all seemed fine. Until I went to change him and prepare him for bedtime. His thighs were covered in pink splotches! At first I thought it was a diaper rash, which made me feel terrible, but then I saw the splotches on his stomach, back of his legs, and chest!!! WTH???

Of course, your first thought is "Chicken Pox?" EEK! The older two have bypassed all poxes that have gone around so far, could our youngest (currently) befall such a common childhood disease???



Jono looked it up on the internet, and of course the pictures weren't very useful. If he DID have the pox, it was very early stages, and his spots didn't resemble those yet. What also didn't help was the description of how it starts out:

"Some kids have a fever, abdominal pain, sore throat, headache, or a vague sick feeling a day or 2 before the rash appears. These symptoms may last for a few days, and fever stays in the range of 100°–102° Fahrenheit (37.7°–38.8° Celsius), though in rare cases may be higher. Younger kids often have milder symptoms and fewer blisters than older children or adults."
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/chicken_pox.html

Oh great! We've all had this yucky flu for a week, and those have been the symptoms: sore throat, fever, sick feeling…. *roll eyes*

What he DID have were pink splotches with white bumps in the centre.



The good news is that they didn't seem to bother him at all. But we put some Kid's AfterBite on a few of them to see if there was any change….after half an hour, I didn't notice any difference. (I'm so NOT observant. *blush*) So I decided to cover him with Calamine Lotion, which Bryn thought was tickly and fun! :) By then, we decided that the spots were most likely caused by mosquitos, since he was playing near a bucket of yucky stagnant water. EWWW! It reminded us of last summer when we went camping and the poor babe was covered ALL OVER with bites! :( Julie had put lotion on him until he was an unrecognizable year-old-pink splotch! I think he takes after his Auntie with blood that mosquitoes prefer. So sad….but let me tell ya, it wasn't terrible going out with my sister and bugs; I wasn't bothered much! *wink*

At least, let's hope that's all it was….the welts have gone down now, so that's good, right?

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers