Thursday, October 22, 2015

Thankful Thursday




Welcome back to Thankful Thursday, a feature started by Louise at Talk Nerdy to Me, where we look back over our week and remember our blessings.  It is so good to see all that has happened, especially if you have had a particularly tough week. Being grateful is good for the soul. Here are just a few things that I am thankful for...


1. Everyone loves Eden

 Sometimes this girl is so ridiculously cute.


I was snuggling with Eden when she tells me that she loves me. I respond that I love her too and add that God loves her and holds her in His hands. She tosses her hair confidently and sighs, "I know. Everyone loves me!"

I am thankful for her spunky and fun personality. I am also thankful that she does not seem to have any problems with self esteem! :)

2. Rhys being helpful (and truthful sisters)

As I'm sweeping the floors, Rhys starts to pick up the Lego and says, " Mom, what I'm doing is Helping." I smile and say, "yes, thank you, Rhys." Then Eden pipes up from the couch she's laying on, "What I'm doing is Not Helping!" I just shake my head.

I am thankful for my sweet little helper. ...and my silly girl.


3. new buddies

We had friends over for dinner and Rhys made a new friend in their oldest daughter, who is in gr 10. She was so sweet and even played Lego with him. She is now his favourite!


I am so thankful for this family of friends who shared a meal with us. I am thankful for this girl who didn't have to spend time with my boy, who is half her age, but she chose to on her own. I love it when people show compassion and interest and attention to my children!

4. B cross country

Bryn joined the Cross Country team at school this year! I'm so impressed with him! He loves to run, so this fits, but it's just incredible for me to think of! After all, his father and I aren't runners (I hated PE class!) and his two older siblings tried to avoid things like this too (having asthma does put a damper on things though), so to have a child who actually loves to run and wants to do it for an extra curricular event is crazy!  I am so proud of him!



The Cross Country team consists of gr 4-6 students in our school and they had been running every week this month, finishing off with the big Christian School Bear Creek Run. (several local schools meet together at Bear Creek Park for a huge race between the grades. I hated going as a kid! haha) 

I love that this boy was excited about this event! I'm sad that I missed the big run in the end though, but hopefully next year I can cheer him on in person.

5. surpassing goals and fun teachers

This year, the elementary school made a goal of raising $2000 for the annual Terry Fox run. If the students made the goal, the vice principal Mr V would get duct taped to the wall. If they made over $2000, the principal Mrs D would be added.  In the end, they raised over $2300, so not only were the two teachers duct taped, but the lovely teacher librarian Mrs dG volunteered as well! What a fun group of leaders we have at the school!


 I loved that the teachers made this fun! I love that the kids were so excited too!


6. Optimistically Hopeful

Okay, I'll be totally honest here: the recent elections results in Canada this week were not what I was expecting or hoping for. But after the shock and fear wore off, I decided to be positive about it and change my thinking. So for now, I am remaining Cautiously Optimistic. Sometimes change is good.



7. Good Laughs

Laughter is good medicine. When I read this, I had to share it!




In case you don't get it, it references the song Safety Dance by Men Without Hats, a great 80's tune I love!

It's been a crazy busy two months here and some of it where I just got through by laughter, a few moments to catch my breath and lots of prayer! I am so thankful for those things!

8. Friendships and opportunities

We drive home two school friends of Abi and Rhys' (who happen to be siblings as well) twice a week and so that's been making things a bit busier and carries it's own set of struggles, but I am so thankful for this opportunity to not only build up the friendship between Rhys and this boy, but also the chance for us as a family to offer help selflessly to a family who needs it. We have been blessed in so many ways! How hard is it for us to just offer a blessing to another?

9. Late Start Friday

Seriously, our school starts late every Friday, which means that we get to sleep in an extra half hour! What's not to like? I am very thankful for Fridays!

10. New Friends

Both of my older boys made new friends this year...whether it was with a new student to the school or just a new-er one (new the year before but hadn't known our family before).... and it's been so great to see them extend themselves and create new friendships. I am thankful that they have been able to spend time with new friends and that it has worked out with get togethers. 


This is just a brief list even though I have so much to be thankful for. It's been a busy Fall so far with so many  new things going on. Our family is still adjusting, but hopefully soon we'll feel more relaxed and find time again for our usual things. (like my TT lists)

What about you?  If things have been incredibly different, or stressful, or busy lately, take a few moments and just start a list of things that you are thankful for right now. It's amazing how freeing it is! It changes your perspective just a bit and turns that stress into moments of peace.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers