Friday, February 23, 2007

update on Bryn and the Pediatrician

I made it to Bryn's appointment sane! YAY! It was on Wednesday. I didn't post about it because I wanted to think about it all, and consider what was going on. It was a very interesting visit and I'll admit I wasn't expecting how it turned out. I did go in there feeling nervous but determined to be Firm in my DEMAND for a PPI! I wrote on the top of my list (I always make them for dr visits) "PPI OR DIE" like I was instructed to do so at MWP by Maggie (LOL) and knew I couldn't go back without one or a referral! LOL

It started out good; I mentioned how I just had the Week From H*LL, how Bryn was screaming and screaming, etc, etc, …. and so he says, "hmm… maybe we need to look into something stronger for him." and he pulls out his little book of meds, and my heart is going up in glee! This may not be as hard as I had imagined! But then… he got off track and the fear began to set in….

He weighed Bryn and he has hardly gained. He was 6kg two weeks ago, and he's only 6.1today, so he's only gained 3 oz. He wasn't too impressed.

I mentioned how I'd seen a breastfeeding consultant last week and she said that everything looked good. He didn't appear to have a hind/fore milk imbalance. She weighed Bryn before and after I breastfed, and he gained 1 1/2 oz within the hour. The Ped wasn't impressed with that either! I brought up that Bryn only wets 2 diapers a day, and even then they aren't soaked. Still unimpressed. But now the Ped is starting to get concerned. He was actually really upset that this breastfeeding consultant at Public Health would say that this was Ok and Normal.

The ped's thoughts are that Bryn is very dehydrated and not getting enough. His plan of action was to get me pumping food into this kid to increase his calories. Maybe I'm not producing enough milk and so I am to "top up" after a feed with formula. Then I'm also to give him solids. And he thinks that will solve the whole issue. Which makes sense, because for a while now I've wondered if I had been producing enough, right? So maybe this is it.

I was concerned about the screaming though still. He thinks that's due to him being so hungry. But I was still worried that what if it Wasn't due to that? I was determined to get a script and I was starting to feel that I wasn't leaving with one. Until he said those magical words…. "would you like me to write you up a perscription?"

He gave me one for Motilium, which is also known as Domperidon (yes, like the wine,.. but not! LOL) It tightens the LES muscle and causes the tummy to empty rapidly (NOT the intestines so he'll still get nutrients) to prevent reflux. If the tummy is empty, he can't reflux. Or that's the idea. I filled the perscription, but haven't picked it up yet, so I don't know if it will change much or not.

Oh, he also threw up on the doctor!!!!! LMBO! I told him, "well, he doesn't do that for ME!" The ped admits it was his fault…waking him up to poke & weigh him, then holding him like a football… Poor boy smelled like puke! … he also went in like that though. I purposely left him in an outfit he puked in earlier!!!! I wanted the dr the see that things were NOT normal! (he probably didn't notice though…doctors are immune to things like that, aren't they? LOL)

I see the ped again on Tuesday to see if he's gaining. If he isn't, then he wants to do some tests on him. He admits that he is perplexed and that Bryn looks and seems healthy, so he doesn't anticipate that he's got something wrong or a disease. He also thinks that Bryn should be 7kg (I'm not too sure how many pounds that would be, but maybe around 17-20) but he is off the growth chart. I reminded him that Bryn HAS tripled his birth weight (he's 13lbs) which is what is expected by 6ms… Hmm…

The good news is that since following up with a bottle of formula after breastfeeding, Bryn has changed! He's happy more and easier to deal with. There hasn't been any screaming either! Wow! He's still puking and smells like vomit a lot though, yuck! And the bottles make him gassy. But he's doing well. He's soaking diapers, yay, but isn't up to the 6 a day the ped wants, but I'm sure that'll come soon. He's also awake a lot more too, which is different. Before, he would bf, then fuss and scream for an hour, then fall asleep from anywhere between 15 minutes til 1 hour. Now he's awake in the morning and up for 3-5 hours, playing and squealing and "talking". I'm running out of ways to entertain him! LOL But it's nice b/c I was starting to think that he shouldn't be sleeping as much as he did before!

So after two days, I really do think that Bryn was dehydrated. I am so blessed and relieved it was caught early enough. I mean, Bryn doesn't look sick or poorly or anything, so it wasn't an obvious thing. But it occurred to me the night after the apt that people DIE from dehydration!!! That's a scary thought!

I also think he has reflux!!! But I'm also lucky that he is a Happy Spitter! Maybe the ranididine will work after all! Maybe the motilium will help. Won't that be nice? That way I don't have to ruin the doctor's "I've never had to give anything stronger than Zantac for children" track record!!!! LOL

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers