Friday, November 6, 2009

it was supposed to be a zucchini

Every year, my Hunny gets the idea that he'd Love to plant a vegetable garden. And every year, he buys seeds and some soil and starts to dig up the backyard. And every year, he forgets about the garden after about a week. And every year, his mother comes and takes care of it. And every year I shake my head at our innability to accomplish simple tasks. And feel shame.

This year, like every year, he planted zucchini. Or so the package said. But it turned out not so much so to be zucchini. We had a few grow, and that was wonderful, but then this Other Thing started to sprout too. At first, we weren't too sure what it was, although we could guess. And as time passed, it's formation became more pronounced and easier to distinguish, and when Autumn befell us, it was starting to change it's colour and reveal it's true beauty.



And there I found it, plucked it, washed it, and prepared it for it's final job. And what a fine job it would be! I should've picked it a week earlier, but still, it turned out. I worked around it's overly soft bits. I was proud of my accomplishments in the end! (oh, and yes, the tire is supposed to be there. I can't recall why though. To help keep something 'cozy' while it grows. Zucchini perhaps?)



I modeled Bryn's one-eyed monster shirt as the punchkin's face. Too cute! (so's the shirt!) Not at all looking the same, but it was an effort!


After a few years of Jenn trying to plant pumpkins herself in our garden, finally one grew! I actually thought it was a leftover seed of hers finally sprouting, but was told it was one Hunny planted. I'm not too sure how that was determined, but whatever. I don't even try to claim to know anything about gardening! Every year, I'd LIKE a flower garden, but every year I know that I won't put the effort out!!! I'm trying though, and like to think every year I get better, lol! But to be honest, I'm bored of it by August! *blush*

There's always next year....Green thumbs are Cultivated, aren't they? It can happen!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers