Monday, May 10, 2010

Empty Hearts

Yesterday was Mother's Day and I still find it tough. I've been blessed to be a Mother of four wonderful & beautiful children, and I've had eight years to get used to the idea, but every year this day pains me. My mind wanders to the women whose arms are empty from the babies that were stolen from their womb and the silent hurt that they feel. Yes, Mother's Day is a wonderful celebration to honor those who give us life, who nurture us, who help us develop into the charming adults we are. *ahem* And I have no problem lavishing upon my own Mother the love and admiration I have. (but come on, there is no possible way I'll be able to thank her fully!) But what of the mothers who don't have children to give them macaroni necklaces or dandilions from the backyard? We tend to forget them.

When I became pregnant the first time, I went through Mother's Day full of wonderment, not realizing it would end a month later. God, in His infinite wisdom, blessed me so that the very next year, I was filled with promise again. But I have friends who don't have full arms, only empty hearts; some with only the chance of motherhood (as we see it--with a physical child to hold) by expensive medical intervention, and my heart aches for them.

Yesterday, I celebrated my Mom (as much as I could in a sleepy fog and a do-or-golf hockey game) and I let myself be pampered, and I enjoyed my four children, and thought of the babies I have waiting for me in Heaven. And I prayed for the empty hearts out there. Infertility is more common than we think. Baby loss (by miscarriage/ectopic/stillbirth etc) is even bigger. I'm sure you know one or two or even a handful. Please take time this week to connect with these women. Give them comfort. Remind them that you care. Tell them that God holds their hearts and loves them.

If you're wondering how to honor a Mother with empty arms, check out this post by Holley. When Mother's Day is Difficult

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers