Monday, March 5, 2007

a *bit* confused

I didn't get around to updating the wonderful news from last week! When we went in for our appointment with the pediatrician, we found out that being supplimented has indeed helped!!! My Little Big Guy gained OVER A POUND in ONE week!!!! teehee*chortle* He now weighs 6.6kg, which equals out to 14lbs 8oz!!! I am sooo proud of him! It is obvious that I am not producing enough! I am so pleased! (well, not on the not producing enough, but on his weight gain and how he's doing! LOL)

Of course, he was still vomiting and I wanted to address that. And guess what? The pediatrician himself mentioned about looking into the Reflux! WOW! I really thought he was going to side-step that one yet again! So I was impressed. He was gaining my trust again! He said that in regards to Reflux, they follow a pattern. First is trying Zantac. If that doesn't work, they add Motilium to it….. Oddly, he never did tell me the third step if step 2 doesn't work, lol! He mentioned how we originally were looking to solve the black stool issue (the maalox), which we did. And then we looked into the constant miserableness (they always downplay it, don't they? grr), which was from hunger. Yay! Now we can look into the reflux. I couldn't help but think that if he had explained himself like that a few weeks back, I would've understood and been more at peace about everything! Sheesh! oh well, we made it through that big hurdle!

The steps we are taking right now is to stop the motilium and to keep him on the Zantac, to see if that helps the reflux. If it doesn't, and he's still "spitting up" (as the ped says) then I am to add the motilium again. But I am to have him weighed again in a few weeks to see how he's doing. I am to expect to see large weight gains, but he said to not listen to the Public Health nurses if they say that he's eating too much or gaining too fast, lol! But if the jump is big, I'm to call and let them know so he can adjust the zantac doseage.

I feel really good about this. It's been almost a week and all is going really well. Which is so wonderful and such a blessing. But also leaves me a *bit* confused. (when am I not? LOL) …. He has stopped throwing up, spitting up, vomiting. That is, it's not coming out at all. I'm not too sure if I've noticed it happening to him silently either! *blush* Am I just not observant anymore? He's too young to be "growing out" of it, isn't he? So what's going on? Are things just calming down with the Zantac? I'm not even giving him that all the time. Instead of 4x/day like he suggests, I can get by on only 2 and have him fine. Is that good? It sounded good in my head, but now that I've typed it out I'm wondering! LOL He's alays been a Happy Spitter, so he could still be refluxing but not showing any effects. I'm not too sure. Is there some kind of "test" I can do? I don't doubt that he had reflux all this time, but I'm wondering what's going on now, that's all. All I know is that he's doing much better than he was two weeks ago! A LOT better! And I am so pleased.

****edited to add: As odd as it sounds, to my relief, Bryn woke up refluxing and screaming in the evening! Funny how I'm happy that happened. I'm bizarre, hahaha! But it was nice to have that answer!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers