Thursday, March 1, 2007

DYDD GWYL DEWI HAPUS

That says "happy Saint David's Day" in Welsh!!! (or I think it does!) LOL

I am very blessed to have met a wonderful friend, Stace, online who lives in Wales. We are very much alike and she is such a fun woman, and I love her! She calls me "chicken", which threw me off at first, but she insists it is a term of endearment in Wales. Right. I, of course, have to take her word for it! lol

Just to prove what a wonderful person she is, she sent me a package of clothes for my children. But not just ANY old clothes; Welsh clothes!!! March 1st (which is today for another half an hour) marks their big national celebration of Saint David's Day!!! All the girls dress up in the traditional clothing and the boys wear rugby jerseys (which is their national sport) I'm not too sure what else they do, but it sounds like a Big Thing there! She also sent me a traditional Welsh cookbook, which ROCKS, but I think I'll have to go to a specialty store for some ingredients, but I can't wait to attempt to ruin a meal from another country! LOL Anyways, she sent me the clothes for my children to wear to partake in it on the other side of the pond! How cool is THAT???

The kids and I were so excited! Abi wore her costume to Kai's preschool and had to tell as many people as she could about Mommy's friend who sent the clothes for "saints david day"! They looked so great! I hope that these pictures turned out on here; I had to share!

It was neat looking at Bryn in his jersey, thinking of how his name is Welsh (Stace was so delighted when we chose it!) I kept calling him my Little W(h)ale all day!!! *wink* Oooh, I hope that one day I get to go over there. I must admit, when I watch the shows, learn about the history, chat with someone from over there… my heart gets swept away. I know I don't entirely "belong" there, but my desire lies in Europe..somewhere. Wales. England. Ireland. Scotland. Oi. I feel…homey…when I think of those places. Can't describe it. Feel silly saying it. But it's true. I pray that one day my feet may touch the soil of the land my relatives came from (my father's father is from England, and his mother is from Ireland….my mother's family is from Netherlands.)

To learn more about St. David's Day, click here

Oh, and 'Gwnewch y pethau bychain'! (that means "do the little things"…one of the last things Dewi Sant apparently said, and has become a Welsh statement)







0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers