Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thankful Thursday



Welcome back to Thankful Thursday, a feature started by Louise at Talk Nerdy to Me, where we look back over our week to remember our blessings.  It is so good to see the good things that have happened, especially if you have had a particularly tough week. Being grateful is good for the soul. Here are just a few things that I am thankful for.. 

1.hug pile

Abi convinced all of the siblings to climb onto the couch for a "hug pile"! I love that even though these kids can irritate each other and be so argumentative, they really do love each other and enjoy being together. 




 
I really am blessed with this crazy, loud bunch!

2. surviving immunizations

Kai had to do his Grade Six Immunizations this past week, except that he missed them since he was at SMH for his Annual Cardiology Appointment. Not that he minded missing them at all! Boy, was he surprised when he had them done this week with the volleyball teams (who were away at games when they were done for the rest of the classes) I wasn't expecting them either, so I couldn't warn him. 




After school, Kai informed me of the torture he went through, but let me know the silver lining was that he got to have some hot chocolate afterwards, and missed half of the next block! I asked him if it was because he freaked out? He bowed his head and said, "yeah..." sheepishly.  Silly boy!

3. clean teeth

I made it six months to my bi-annual dental appointment! If you know me, you know that I would avoid seeing my dentist if I could, but then I met Natasha and I decided that maybe I could do this again! She was the first ever hygienist that I've ever felt completely at ease with; after my appointment in the spring, I wanted to go out with her for a coffee and shopping date! haha. It was just as relaxing this time too! 

I am super thankful for Natasha and for clean teeth!

4. ride sharing

It has been a rather busy few weeks here, and we aren't normally a busy people, but almost every single night had some sort of event going on for two weeks straight. It was crazy and we were starting to feel it! I am so thankful for friends and family who stepped in and helped out. I had my mother in law pick up the kids from school for me while I had my dental appt, and then she took Abi to youth group, and I had my friend pick up Abi afterwards and take her home for me; it is so good to know that you can get help when you need it!  We are blessed to have those around us.

5. brother giggles 

I had to laugh as I listened to Bryn and Rhys giggle the other night. They had taken a toy store catalogue to their bedroom to go through and circle and dream, but after a good fifteen minutes of conspiring, Rhys came running out to tell Kai that they had circled "girl things" in the book for him! Hahaha. They were quite proud of their silliness! Kai was offended at first, but then I reminded him that it wasn't a big deal, and then we laughed over how he would be surprised on Christmas morning with his gifts!

I am thankful for silliness and giggles coming from brothers. They don't always play well or get along together, but the times they do are so good.

6. toque and sweater weather

We're having an Arctic Chill this week, so it's been so cold in the mornings that I've had to pull out tuques and mittens for the kids to take to school. Brr!  I am thankful for sunshine that warms up our afternoons so that we can take off our jackets and mittens and go out and play in the leaves!




7. antibiotics

I don't think I'd ever thought I would be thankful that one of my children is sick, but I am so thankful that after three trips to the clinic, Abi finally has something that the doctors can treat!  She has a double ear infection, plus chest congestion with lots of wheezing. Yuck! But now she can start antibiotics and hopefully start to feel better soon!

8. evening out with a good friend

When Rhys was in preschool, I connected with a few of the moms, but one reached out after that year ended and that really means a lot. I think we are so stuck in our own ways, doing our own things, in our own little houses, that we forget to make an effort and we get into a routine where we aren't deepening relationships. That may not be true for some, some people still do have social lives, but for the most of us (especially if you have many children) it is a lot of work to actually plan and do things with others. So it was so wonderful to actually do that with my friend Nat.

We went to an Open House Fashion Reveal party at Milner Village Garden Centre and then went for coffee at lelem, an arts and cultural cafe in Fort Langley. It's a new company that just opened this year and is beautiful with a lot of First Nations decor and art, and plenty of room for a large group of friends (like the group of 15 girls that came in as we were leaving) or a simple lunch date with a girlfriend.  I would go back there!

It was nice to get together and chat with a friend, and I really need to do this more often. It was encouraging and supportive, and we need more of that in our lives.

9. Star Of The Week

Bryn was the Star of the Week in his grade three class, which meant that we had to bring in photos (I remembered that the night before, so I had to go digging through my stacks downstairs after I tucked him into bed! That was fun!) that he got to show off to the class. He brought in his favourite book (Amulet  by Kazu Kibuishi, a graphic novel series.) and talked about it, and brought in three of his favourite items. On the last day, a parent was supposed to write a letter to tell the class about the child. Of course, I forgot all about that until the night before! Oops. I was a bit stressed over it and didn't even know what I'd say, but then Hunny surprised me and wrote something. I sent it in, but also came at the start of the day to read it to the class.

Bryn is such a sweetheart. He's quiet and gentle and caring, but also so very energetic and tells silly jokes. He is also the ultimate middle child, who is steadfast and reliable but can sometimes get lost in our big family since he's not demanding or loud or needing as much attention as some of the others.  And that personality can be such a blessing too. We definitely appreciate his fun and strong nature.

10. new kicks

Bryn is active and loves to run all over and jump around so much that he will wear out his shoes in two months! Literally, the brand new shoes we bought at the beginning of the school year have fallen off the soles! (I should've taken a photo! next time I will!)  So that meant shoe shopping.


Since this happens consistently, we decided to go with a more expensive pair of runners. We went to Sport Check, but they didn't have his size, and then tried out Foot Locker, where the staff member was super helpful. He's the one who looked at Bryn's shoes and immediately asked if he liked to climb on things! Of course! Lightbulb! That would be why the front of his shoes fall apart to the point of the soles separating!  He found a nice pair with more flexibility for Bryn, and we left with a happy boy and happy parents. (and now I'm going to fill out a survey for the store to let them know how helpful their sales rep was...and see if I can win a gift card!) Hopefully these will last longer into the new year!


So there's my condensed list. I have so much more that I am thankful for, but these are just a glimpse at my week. How about you? What are you thankful for?  If you make a list, I'd love to hear it!


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers