Thursday, December 4, 2014

thankful thursday




Welcome back to Thankful Thursday, a feature started by Louise at Talk Nerdy to Me, where we look back over our week to remember our blessings.  It is so good to see the good things that have happened, especially if you have had a particularly tough week. Being grateful is good for the soul. Here are just a few things that I am thankful for...

1. this girl

I am so thankful for Abi; for all that she is to our family. She babysits for us when Hunny and I need to go out somewhere (like our parent-teacher interviews at the schools, or for grocery shopping, or even just a quick step out for a coffee and a breather), even when she sometimes finds it frustrating. (we do pay her often. Sometimes in small gifts of a latte, and sometimes in cash, or in paying for new books for her to read, like we did this week!)


 
I am also so very thankful for her creativity and resourcefulness. When I was out at my dental appt recently, and Hunny was working late, she saw to dinner plans and made something for everyone. It was so good of her and I was so blessed by her thoughtfulness and her ability to fill a need. I don't know how I ended up with a girl like her! 

2. this silly girl

The Fiesty One decided to cut her own hair one morning while I was still in bed.  I know that a lot of kids do this; I certainly did as a kid, and even into my teens! But it still made me nervous to see her own handiwork!

I was thankful that it didn't really look too bad! I felt mixed on whether I should commend her on her abilities or tell her how it was a bad idea!



3. A friend of ours had her story published! 

A friend wrote a story for a grade five class project two years ago, and her teacher suggested she publish it, so her mom loked into it this year! A small company accepted it and the book came out just recently! It's so exciting! I see many years ahead of her developing her writing skills and growing her talent; she is already a great storyteller!  



Check out more information on this story, and how you can get your own copy!  We should support young talent, and local talent!  the lotus princess

4. a shameless promotion

 I don't join these things to gain followers, but I thought it was neat that Pinterest was using one of my boards in their "you may want to check this out" email this week! *patting myself on the back for being awesome*  It was neat to think that Pinterest wanted to promote me and my silly board on building projects! It made me feel pretty good! I'm thankful for small and un-important things like this that make me feel happy.

5. Jamberry party

For Abi's birthday party, she wanted to have friends over for a sleepover, but also do something fun, so we invited a woman over for a Jamberry party. I had heard about Jamberry this year, but had never had a chance to try it out myself, or to go to a party, so when we saw someone at a craft fair promoting their own business, we thought we'd try it out!

I'm a nail biter...I know, I know. It's a terrible habit. I really thought I would be over it by the time I hit my 30's, but by then the habit was set strong, and habits are hard to break.  I had heard that having a manicure would help, but since I don't have the money or time (or interest, really) to have one, I had heard that having pretty nail decor would help too.


My nails looked good!  My cousin's wife said that it helped her out, but if she had a snag or it bubbled up or frayed, she would pick at it, and I found out that to be true for me as well! Sadly, they did not make it a week! But I am going to try it again (after all, I did buy a few sets!) and hopefully I will be stronger this time!



I thought it was cute that even Eden was included! Our nail instructor, Kelly, applied Eden's nails for her, which I thought was very nice, considering I wasn't expecting her too. (you never know how some people will respond to a toddler, you know, when it involves their business, but Kelly was so wonderful!) She loved them!  *



6. Christmas music

I pulled out my Christmas cds the last week of November! I have a small collection that I listen to often, and I would say that my absolute favourites are the ones by Michael W. Smith. He has three...no, wait, I think he just came out with a new one, a Christmas with Friends one where he duets with others.  I love his Christmas music, they really do touch my heart. I love that he adds a symphony orchestra and many choirs. Oh, my heart is so happy and at peace when I listen to it. 

I was so happy to find his cds on youtube, so I've been listening on our tablet to the mix' while I prepare dinner. It really has helped with my peace!


All is Well (the song in the picture above) is a song off of his first Christmas cd, way back in 1989! It is actually sung by the American Boy Choir, and wow, it is so touching. Especially if you listen to Frank Peretti read his story of the same title. *tears* (I think you can listen to the story here. I'm not too sure since my computer isn't running very well right now, so I can't test it.)



7. custom card order 

I don't know if you are aware of this, but I love making cards and I really love making cards for other people. So I was pretty excited to have a custom order of 20 thank you cards to make for a friend!



8. Medication!

My thyroid is kind of ...off...this week. I have been in a lot of all-over body pain, having heart palpitations, feeling so so so cold, dealing with insomnia as well as fatigue, and been angry and frustrated yet also apathetic and depressed. It's been a really rough week!  So I was so thankful that my doctor called in my prescription to the pharmacy for me when mine ran out and I struggled.  

I may not always feel like my doctor is doing enough for my thyroid care, but I am sure thankful to have something to take that helps just a bit! Hopefully this will let me feel more..normal...again.



9. Snow!!!

The first snowfall of the season is always exciting!  Usually when it snows in other parts of the Lower Mainland, it won't fall at our house since we live at the bottom of two or three big hills, so I was quite surprised, and very happy, to see how much we received in the end! And ours lasted longer than my parents' house in Chilliwack!







The kids were going to go play in it, but that lasted hardly even 10 minutes. It was just too cold! We still have this arctic chill going on! Brr!

10. Swim lessons

We finished up our swimming lessons. The Youngers had a blast! They loved learning to swim, and they loved their teachers, and they were proud of themselves for what they accomplished; they started out timid and gained new skills. They didn't pass their levels, but that's okay. They learned so much and are able to now get their faces/heads wet, and that's a big step from when we started!

They keep asking about swimming, so I definitely see us repeating this in the Spring!


So that's my week in a nutshell!  There is so much to be thankful for!  What are you thankful for? If you start a list, let me know. I'd love to share your happy news too!



* I was curious as to how long Eden would keep her nails on, just to find that she had pulled them off in bed that very night! haha.  Of course, she wanted new ones on the next day!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers