Wednesday, February 10, 2010

struggling

I'm struggling right now. My thyroid is out and I can tell but there isn't anything I can do about it until I can get my doctor to realize. I had my bloodwork done last month and when I saw my dr (my original doctor not my friend's doctor, lol) and while she said that my levels of TSH were too high, she didn't want to adjust anything b/c she wasn't convinced that there was an issue yet. She asked if I had felt anxious, to which I said No, because I'm not. Aggitated? Oh Yes!!! Very aggitated! And sleepy. Oh so sleepy. Since I'm not anxious, things must be ok, right? Even though I told her I knew my thyroid was out, I could tell and that I was extremely exhausted. *sigh* Doctors!

So while I have a LOT of things I want to post and talk about, I have no energy. My life is kind of on auto-play...no thinking, no action, just doing. And it sucks. :(

For those who don't know, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 2005. (that was a tough year for me) Your thyroid controls your
*heart rate
*respiratory rate
*rate at which calories are burned
*skin maintenance
*growth
*heat production
*fertility
*digestion. (1)

But more than that, more importantly, when your thyroid is out, you have a range of symptoms that really screw things up! The symptoms for Hypothyroidism (when your thyroid is underactive and produces high levels of TSH and low levels of T4) include: *fatigue
*dry skin
*feeling cold
*weight gain
*coarse hair/hair loss
*muscle aches
*depression
*difficulty concentrating
*brittle nails
*constipation
*hoarse voice
*puffiness of the face/around eyes
*heavy periods
*infertility
*high cholesterol. (2)

Believe me! I know! I don't have all of those symptoms, but I have enough! Also, "hypothyroidism can lead to serious consequences if not treated." (3)

I go get my blood checked every other month or so. Actually, that's not true. I had my thyroid nice and settled for a good 6 months where it was regulated and all was good. But then I got pregnant with Rhys and things haven't been in order since. I think. It's been a while; I don't remember when it first went out!

Hopefully things will get back into order again. I have lots of updating to do and I want to do it before it becomes OLD news! :)

(Beers, MH, Fletcher AJ, et al, editors, The Merck Manual of Medical Information. (1) Kasper DL, Braunwald E, et al, editors, Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 2005 (2) Abbott Laboratories, Limited 2008 You don't feel right, but you just can't put your finger on it....(3) ...I picked up a handy-dandy pamphlet at my doctor's office recently!)

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers