Wednesday, September 24, 2014

B the math whiz

We were driving one day, just the two of us, when Bryn pipes up from the back seat:

"Mom, you know how you count things like 2 +2 is 4, and 4 + 4 is 8, and 8 + 8 is 16...?" I nodded, causally.  He continued, "I lost track at 1, 364*."

Pardon me? One thousand, three hundred and sixty-four? You counted that high just by doubling the numbers?  Are you kidding me? I get lost after 72! Oh, I can do the math. I just can't do it in my head. And that's what Bryn was doing!  (* I just made up that number. I actually forget what number he gave me, but it was in the thousands!)

Math in his head!!! Who's kid is this???

He definitely takes after his father! My Hunny has absolutely no problems with numbers and can do the hardest of math in his head within seconds. It is mind-boggling to me. I have always struggled with numbers. What a relief it was to discover that I have Dyscalculia.(which is a learning disability in math) Of course, it was only a recent discovery...I saw a friend post about it on FB and it was such a shock to see that I could connect with everything the list suggested! Too bad I didn't recognize this while in school!



I just have no concept of numbers and struggle with visualizing them or organizing them and it sucks!  However, I must say that I am happy to see that I can now understand school grade math! I'm able to do the kids' homework with them! (I admit that was a big worry about having kids who go to school and learn math-y things) Especially since this is so true:



Bryn likes to think up numbers, and loves to count things, and is always asking random questions. This evening, Bryn asks me "Do you know what 346 divided by 2 is?"  (not a part of his homework, he just wanted to know!)

I look at him and shake my head. No! Not off the top of my head. We laugh. He walks away.

 He is only eight and he can out-math me!!! It's not fair!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers