Friday, January 2, 2015

Thankful Thursday (on a Friday)



Welcome back to Thankful Thursday, a feature started by Louise at Talk Nerdy to Me, where we look back over our week to remember our blessings.  It is so good to see the good things that have happened, especially if you have had a particularly tough week. Being grateful is good for the soul. Here are just a few things that I am thankful for...


1. Dinosaur lunch



What's not to be thankful for about dinosaur-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches? The kids eat them up just fine! 

2. a little singing, a little playing

I caught Kai putting together Lego while singing out loud to the song Let It Go! At least he has diversity!



I thought it was cute. I love that he will show his fun, quiet and sometimes sensitive side.

3. Olliebollen



I love family traditons. and I love olliebollen. and I love that my Hunny lets me make it, even though he can't stand the smell of the deep frying oil in the house.  


4. family

We were invited over to Hunny's Uncle and Aunt's house on Boxing Day for lunch. This is the same relatives that had to boys over for an afternoon of play earlier. We don't get to see extended family too often, so it's nice when we can get together and the kids can meet eachother. I don't have any cousins nearby (I have 19 just on my mom's side, but all of my relatives live back in Ontario), so I think it's great when we can get to know extended family better. I do wish it were my relatives though sometimes, but I have been blessed with a few visits this year!

5. LOTR

I introduced my Olders to the Fellowship Of The Ring on New Year's Eve. I thought it was time. I know a lot of other parents have let their young kids watch the movie already, but my kids are sensitive and I think that I have to keep them sheltered from things that aren't important. The movie creeped me out when it was in theatres thirteen years ago {{shudder}} Orks  {{shudder}} Dark Death Riders. Why would I want the young impressionable and imaginative minds of my children to be filled with these images before they are ready to handle it? This year, they could. (We watched The Hobbit pt 1 last NYE, which isn't as dark)

We stayed up until 2am, wishing each other a Happy New Year at the time where the Council are meeting and the Fellowship of the Nine are put together. I have missed the whole Lord of the Rings story, and Aragorn and Sam....

6. Quiet days of nothing

Sometimes it is good to have a break and to not do anything. We have stayed in our pjs and watched too much tv and ate snacks and just hung out as a family for these two weeks.  I am thankful for days where you don't have to do anything, and you don't have to get dressed and you don't have to accomplish anything but rest and relax.

8. Creative Spark

My parents visited this week and we talked over business-y stuff and I felt a bit more motivated again. I felt like I had lost that creative spark and excitement that I had earlier last month. I am thankful for ideas and for sharing plans and for that hope again.

9. Sleepover

The boys share a room and the girls share a room, but due to bedtimes, Eden goes to bed on her own, and Bryn and Rhys go to bed at the same time in their room. Needless to say, more often than not, I am in the boys' room reminding them to stop playing and to get back into bed and to actually go to sleep! Eden is pretty easy and ends up falling asleep on her own pretty fast. But some nights she feels lonely and doesn't want to go to bed and asks to have a sleepover in the boy's room. Usually Bryn will let her stay with him, since he is kind hearted like that.


I thought it was sweet when I came to check on their quiet room one night and found both sound asleep together! I am thankful that they can share moments like this. I am also thankful that they slept well! (that is, until around 2am, when Eden woke up and she and Bryn wanted her to go back to her own bed! I'm thankful they were just down the hall from eachother, instead of at a friend's house!)
 
10. Big Hero 6

The kids and I have been wanting to watch the newest Disney movie for a while now and we finally found a moment this week. Have you seen it yet? It is a really good movie that uses a lot more tech, with more forward-thinking. which is so neat to see. (Hunny didn't get to come watch it with us, he stayed home with the sick girl, while I went with the four others, but he will really appreciate the machining and Makers in the movie when we get it on DVD later this year!)


We saw it in 3D with maybe 15 other people in the early evening. (the parking lot at Colossus movie theater was packed, but they weren't watching this movie; I wonder which one they were all at? I very badly want to see the Hobbit: the five armies! Abi wants to go see Into The Woods.)  I had to keep shushing Rhys for the first few minutes he kept saying, "every thing is beside me!" With four kids, I had to get up four times in the movie to help kids go to the bathroom, so I missed a bit of the movie. But from what I saw, I enjoyed it a lot! I may have teared up twice as well! (Disney has to stop playing with our emotions like that; it's not nice!)

I am thankful for fun memories like this.

How has your week been? What are you thankful for?



0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers