Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thankful Thursday




Welcome back to Thankful Thursday, a feature started by Louise at Talk Nerdy to Me, where we look back over our week to remember our blessings.  It is so good to see the blessings that have happened, especially if you have had a particularly tough week. Being grateful is good for the soul. Here are just a few things that I am thankful for...

1. Beautiful weather

Seriously, could we live in a more beautiful area?  We had such a hot weekend here, so we spent most of it outside! I am so thankful for days like this.  (not so thankful for the sunburn on the back of my neck while mowing the lawn, though. oops)

2. picnic dinners

We got together with the extended family to celebrate another birthday (and to move some dirt for gardens), and with our warm evenings we ate out on the deck. The Cuzies got a blanket and had their dinner as a picnic. 



Did I mention how beautiful it was this past weekend?

3. chore chart and no screen weekend success

We have been trying to get a better hold on the excessive use of our internet by making a No Screen Weekend. I'm so thankful for our sunshiney weekend that made it easier!  We also are trying to get the kids more involved in helping out, and so I put up a Chore Chart on Friday. The kids had easy-enough tasks that had to be finished by Saturday evening, and they would get paid if they finished them all. (they were informed that half finished tasks resulted in no allowance at all!)  It took some kids the whole 24 hours to complete their chores, some were almost done on Friday night (that would be Bryn! He was quite eager to get his done fast!)


I am thankful that we had success in both the chore chart and no screen time! Yay!  I think I will pull this out again!

4. Found Surprises

While spending time in the backyard on the weekend, I found a missing Suckie from one of my Babies.  It was bittersweet to find.  It reminded me of how little my kids once were. 


I miss holding a bitty baby. I guess it's a good thing that there will be another one in the family this Fall! (not mine! just to clarify!)

5. Learning skills

I have been working with Eden and teaching her to write her own name.  It took Rhys a long time to learn his (he was already five years old before he could write the letters; he seemed to lack the skill or strength or connection of sight to ability) and now he is able to write more letters on his own. He still is learning the alphabet by sight, but he's remembering how to write many and that is exciting!  Since he is practicing at home, Eden is starting to get interested. 

I was so proud to see that she managed to do it this past week!  (she still needs help to remember to write the lower case E)

6. Respirology Tests

Our doctor scheduled an appointment for Abi to have a Respirology Test done this past week, which was a surprise. She had already done a breathing test in office, and those results weren't too helpful, but I didn't get the impression that the doctor was concerned further. But off we went.  It wasn't a long appointment. Basically, Abi just redid those breathing tests that she did a few weeks ago. 


I am thankful that since she had already done this she knew how to do it better. Not to cheat because I don't think you can really cheat on a breathing test. But I think you can perform better to your ability when you know what you have to do and what it takes and when it is better explained how to do it and how to push further. (which is what I spend time talking to her about on the drive to PAH!) 


I am also thankful that we have a doctor that is willing to look further into ways to help Abi deal with her asthma.  Hopefully this will give us more answers and will help us make this condition almost-non-existent.

7. Grandparent's Day

It was Grandparent's Day at the Middle/High school this week. (the elementary school had theirs in Decemeber to coincide with their Christmas program)  I am so thankful that Abi and Kai had both of my parents and my Hunny's mom visit them in the morning and that they could enjoy lunch together. What a blessing to have family nearby and to have them interested in the lives of my kids!  When my family moved out west, that meant leaving behind all of our family, which left us with no one to support us or visit or be a part of our lives. It was sad for me since I put such an importance on family. That my children are surrounded by relatives who love them and want to be included is a blessing that not many get.

8. Healing

We have been dealing with pink eye now for over a week. First Bryn got it in both eyes and missed school. Then the day he got better and returned, Rhys stayed home with it. And then I got it!  It was terrible! So irritating and itchy! Yuck!  It looked worse than it felt too!  I am thankful that things are clearing up now and we are healing.

9.  Sunshiney Mornings

I am so thankful for the mornings that we wake up to sunshine. There is something about that warm glow of the sun that gives me hope and a renewed spirit.  It really does get my day started on a good positive foot.  I'm not a morning person at all, so having that to greet me is helpful!

10.  Snuggles

I love that on lazy mornings, I can rest on the couch and that I will ususally find one or two kids to snuggle with me!  I love that Eden and Rhys love cuddling with me still! There isn't a lot of room on the couch when we do, and we're going to have even less room each time they grow, but for now they can fit in my lap and wrap their little hands around me. I need to savor this for as long as I can, while I can!


So that was my week in a nut shell. How about you? What are you thankful for?  If you write a list, I'd love to share you blessings with you; let me know!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers