Thursday, August 21, 2014

good to be home

We returned from a week-long camping trip in the middle of nowhere, and I am just trying to get everything in order here. I have a good three loads of laundry to finish, but I was happy because I had actually managed to wash and dry five already.....and I even managed to get them folded! Yay go me!  I am still debating on whether the sleeping bags need to be washed or not. I hate adding to my list of items to wash because the larger ones always get shoved to the bottom of the pile if more important things come up (like underwear or that shirt that you suddenly remembered at 11pm needed to be washed for the next morning! Kids, sheesh!)  Since we didn't have any campfires this year (dang campfire ban ruining our roasting marshmallow fun!) we don't have smelly bags... so I'm still wondering how much energy or motivation I have.

A few days after we were home, and settled into our own beds, Abi stumbles out of her room and finds me, asking, "Mom, is there a bathroom here?"

I looked at her. "Yessss...."

She blinked sleepily. "Where is it?"

I try not to smile. "It's just down the hall there," I point behind her.

She blinks again. "Okay, thanks. Is anyone in it?"

"I don't think so," I reply. She stumbles off down the hall she came, and finds the bathroom. The one that we have always had in our house. The one she has used millions of times.

I love her sleepwalking stories! I guess she was still stuck in camping-mode in her head, and yet still aware of being at home.

I know that the first night home, I had a hard time sleeping. With our bedroom window open, I found our neighbourhood so loud! Why were people walking around at night? What happened to our perfectly quiet nights camping with no one around? And I kept waking up and wondering where I was; knowing it wasn't the tent trailer and waiting for my mind to remember it being our house...and then realizing I could go to the bathroom whenever I wanted, and not in the dark, crouching behind a bush!!! (I admit it: I don't do walks down to a dark stinky outhouse in the middle of the night. Nope, too creepy! I will stick close to our site and pee in a bush, thank-you very much! And I don't care who hears me!)

It is good to be home! Sad that our holidays are over though.  I have to load my photos to the computer and update on our fun camping experiences as well as update on an important appointment.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers